Nicholas Nanovic has over ten years of experience advising individuals and business owners on their estate planning and tax needs.
Nick partners with his clients, designing comprehensive and customized estate plans for individuals and business owners as well as navigating complex tax matters. Nick strives to understand the goals of his clients, utilizing various types of trusts to ensure assets are protected for future generations. In estate administration matters, he guides executors and administrators through the estate administration process, providing counsel in simple estates as well as more complex estates involving large debts, unpaid taxes, hard-to-sell assets, and difficult beneficiaries. He has also represented his clients in the Orphans’ Court Division to resolve contentious estate administration issues. As Chair of Gross McGinley’s Wills, Trusts and Estates Group, he leads a team of attorneys, paralegals, and staff in improving quality and efficiencies with regard to estate planning and estate administration services.
Nick also assists individuals and businesses in sophisticated tax matters, including personal income tax, business tax, gift and estate tax. He has represented these clients regarding audits of income tax returns, gift tax returns, and sales tax returns. He helps his clients negotiate their outstanding tax liabilities with the IRS and Pennsylvania Department of Revenue, including the submission of Offers in Compromise and application for installment agreement payment plans.
Nick has attained the designation of an Accredited Estate Planner®, awarded by the National Association of Estate Planners & Councils. The AEP® designation is a graduate level specialization in estate planning, obtained in addition to already recognized professional credentials within the various disciplines of estate planning. It is awarded by the NAEPC to recognize estate planning professionals who meet stringent requirements of experience, knowledge, education, professional reputation, and character, and who commit to the team concept of estate planning.
In the community, Nick serves on the Board of Governors of the Lehigh Valley Community Foundation. Passionate about the importance of estate planning for all individuals, Nick also volunteers with the “Wills for Heroes” program to provide free basic estate planning documents to first responders and military veterans in Pennsylvania. He currently serves as Coordinator for Lehigh and Northampton Counties.
The Pennsylvania Super Lawyers Magazine has named Nick to its Rising Stars list for the past seven years, including 2020, a distinction awarded to less than 2.5% of attorneys across the state. Also in 2020, Nick was recognized by Lehigh Valley Business as one of the most outstanding young professionals in the Greater Lehigh Valley, joining their Forty Under 40 list.
Areas of Practice
- New Jersey
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. District Court
- ↳Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- University of Miami School of Law, LL.M. in Taxation, 2008
- University of Miami School of Law, J.D., 2007
- University of Notre Dame, B.B.A., 2004
- American Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Bar Association of Lehigh County
- Northampton County Bar Association
- Carbon County Bar Association
- Lehigh Valley Community Foundation, Board of Governors
- Wills for Heroes, Volunteer and Coordinator for Lehigh and Northampton Counties
- Estate Planning Council of the Lehigh Valley, Former President and Board Member
- Should I Give My House Away to My Child?
- Pennsylvania Joins the Digital Age with RUFADAA
- Why College Students Need a Power of Attorney
- Attorney Nick Nanovic Named Forty Under 40 Honoree
- Five Ways to Protect Your Family Through Estate Planning
- Seven Reasons to Update Your Estate Plan
- "Before you rush into an M&A, know the tax traps," Lehigh Valley Business, March 2020
- "Why You Need an Estate Plan," Times News Carbon County Legal Guide, April 2010
Awards & Recognitions
- 2013, 2015-2020 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers Rising Stars
- 2020 Lehigh Valley Business Forty Under 40
- "Demystifying Pennsylvania Inheritance Tax," CE Seminar for CPAs and CFPs June 2019
- "The Probate Process From Start to Finish," National Business Institute, August 2018
- "New Changes to the Tax Law - What Lawyers Need to Know," Carbon County Bar Association Bench Bar Conference, April 2018
- "IRS Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Program and the Offer in Compromise," November 2015
- "Cocktails and Case Studies: Succession Planning," October 2015
- "Pennsylvania's New Power of Attorney and Common Estate Planning Pitfalls," April 2015
Practice Spotlight: Insurance Defense
Gross McGinley’s insurance defense attorneys have extensive experience in the defense of both complex and routine liability cases, serving as panel counsel to major insurance carriers and approved cou… Read More
Industry Spotlight: Banking
Financial institutions turn to our group of attorneys who offer experience in all areas of banking law. Our clients include community, regional, and national banking associa… Read More