Stuart T. Shmookler
Stuart T. Shmookler focuses his practice in the related areas of business, real estate, wills, estate planning and administration. A third generation Allentownian who has been in practice for nearly forty years, Stuart has been able to refine the business intuition he first acquired through exposure to his grandfather’s business, which is still family-owned and operated today.
Clients find Stuart’s sensitivity to their personal concerns comforting as they make major life decisions.
Stuart’s commercial clients range from small start-ups to large companies in diverse areas such as manufacturing, distribution, construction, food, retail and real estate development and investment. He advises clients with entity choice and formation, transactions, contracts, business financing, buying and selling businesses, succession and business planning, liquor law, and collections. As a value-added service, Stuart visits new business clients without charge to learn as much as he can about their operations.
In his real estate practice Stuart represents individual and business clients who purchase residential, commercial, and investment properties. His services include drafting and review of leases, zoning, real estate financing, title problems, boundary disputes, title insurance, and easements.
Stuart helps families plan for the future with wills, powers of attorney, living wills, advanced health care directives, estate planning, trusts, elder law, guardianships and incapacities, and business succession planning. Clients find Stuart’s sensitivity to their personal concerns, as well as his knowledge of the law and years of experience, comforting as they make major life decisions.
Stuart is an experienced lecturer and regularly speaks to Lehigh Valley groups on retirement and estate planning topics. He is an annual presenter at the Pennsylvania State Education Association teacher’s union annual retirement planning meeting and has previously addressed employees of Lehigh County on the confidentiality of mental health records.
Alongside his law practice, Stuart takes an active role in the community where he has previously served as President of the Board of Directors for Valley Youth House and numerous other charitable and public organizations. He and his wife Susan have raised their children in the Lehigh Valley and worked together and with others to found a new synagogue that serves sixty families.
Areas of Practice
- U.S. District Court
- ↳Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals
- ↳Third Circuit
- Temple University School of Law, J.D., 1974
- Philadelphia University, B.S., 1969
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Bar Association of Lehigh County
- ↳Unauthorized Practice Committee, chairperson
- ↳Fee Dispute Committee
- Estate Planning Council of the Lehigh Valley
- LeTip of the Lehigh Valley
- Temple Shirat Shalom, Founding Member and former Board Member
- South Whitehall Township, Chairperson of the Public Safety Commission
- Cedar Crest College, Past Lecturer
- Congregation Kenneseth Israel former member Board of Trustees, former Executive Vice President
- Valley Youth House former member Board of Directors, former President
- Why Should I Set up a Power of Attorney during the Coronavirus?
- How to Finalize Estate Planning Documents During the Coronavirus Outbreak
- What are the 2020 federal estate and gift tax rates?
- 2019 Elder Law Month Community Education Series
- PSEA Hosts Annual Retirement Workshop
- 2019 Guardianship Rules Change
- “Protect Your Clients from Costly Litigation”, Gross McGinley Wills, Trusts, and Estates Legal Update, 2013
- “Elder Law: For The Young And Older” Hakol, 2012
- “Estate Planning for Retirees”, PSEA Pre-Retirement Conference, March 2019
- "A Look at Estate Planning for Retirees", PSEA Pre-Retirement Conference, April 2017
- "Probate Gone Bad", Gross McGinley Seminar for Accountants, October 2016
- "Do I Want to Be a Fiduciary? Risks vs. Rewards", Gross McGinley, October 2013
- “Wills and Estates” Pennsylvania State Education Association annual retirement planning seminar, 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013
- “Confidentiality of Mental Health Records” Lehigh County, Department of Human Services, 2008, 2009, and 2010
Practice Spotlight: Wills, Trusts, & Estates
Wills and Estates Group
Gross McGinley’s Wills and Estates Group lawyers provide a mix of legal services to protect your family and help you plan for a secure future. Our attorneys are skilled and… Read More
Industry Spotlight: Municipal
Gross McGinley offers a full range of legal services to local municipalities. Our attorneys represent Lehigh Valley local governments, planning boards, zoning boards, cities, and counties in real estate, lan… Read More