Michael J. Blum
Michael J. Blum regularly participates in trials of cases in the areas of medical malpractice defense and general liability defense. He also has an extensive background in plaintiff’s personal injury and criminal defense.
Michael is a vital member of Gross McGinley’s medical malpractice team, defending large hospitals and health networks across Eastern Pennsylvania. He handles every aspect of complex medical malpractice litigation from start to finish, including the technicality of pleading, detailed preparation of medical witnesses for deposition and trial testimony, and the acquisition of vital expert reports. Michael has been a key figure in several high-profile cases, including obtaining the dismissals of Lehigh Valley Hospital from cases involving the notorious Charles Cullen filed both in Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
In other areas of litigation, Michael has obtained several defense verdicts and judgments in slip-and-fall premises liability matters. He also has experience in criminal law, having exonerated several defendants from all of their criminal charges and obtained the withdrawal of serious felony charges.
Michael was selected to the Pennsylvania Super Lawyers Rising Stars lists for 2013-2018, a distinction reserved for no more than 2.5% of attorneys in Pennsylvania who are under the age of 40 or who have been practicing law for less than 10 years.
Areas of Practice
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. District Court
- ↳Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- ↳District of New Jersey
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law, J.D., 2004
- University of Delaware, B.A., 2001
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Bar Association of Lehigh County
- ↳Young Lawyers Division, Former Vice Chair
- Donald E. Wieand Barristers’ Inn, Team Leader
- Boys and Girls Club of Allentown, Board of Directors
- High School Mock Trial Coach
- Boys and Girls Club Appoints Michael Blum to Board
- Self-Incrimination Denied as Court Compels Computer Passwords
- Michael Blum and Sarah Hart Present on HIPAA and Medical Records
- Superior Court Upholds Summary Judgment in Favor of Family Medical Practice
- Michael J. Blum Successfully Completes First Triathlon
- Ten Gross McGinley Attorneys Recognized by Pennsylvania Super Lawyers
Awards & Recognitions
- 2013-2018 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers Rising Stars
- Obtained dismissal of lawsuit against family medical practice who's former employee violated patient privacy rights under HIPAA by sharing medical information about a patient. Superior Court upheld a long-standing principle of law and found that an employer was not vicariously liable for the intentional torts of its employee.
Practice Spotlight: Medical Malpractice Defense
Gross McGinley’s Medical Malpractice Defense Group represents health care providers in patient care matters. Our team of experienced attorneys, devoted paralegals, and numerous support staff review all rel… Read More
Industry Spotlight: Banking
Financial institutions turn to our group of attorneys who offer experience in all areas of banking law. Our clients include community, regional, and national banking associa… Read More