Samuel E. Cohen
Samuel E. Cohen focuses his practice on commercial litigation, employment litigation, and business disputes. He provides creative, effective, and cost efficient legal services to individuals, small businesses, large corporations, and municipalities in transactions, employment matters, product warranties, and zoning disputes. His honest and straightforward style have resulted in building long-term relationships with his clients. In addition to litigating disputes, Sam frequently consults with his business clients on managing risk and litigation avoidance tactics. Sam currently serves as Assistant Solicitor to Lehigh County.
He has litigated matters on behalf of businesses across a wide variety of industries including insurance, construction, banking, retail, real estate, media and publishing, and health care. Sam has successfully litigated claims founded in breach of contract, employment discrimination, and premise liability defense, to name a few. He also pursues civil litigation matters on behalf of individuals and business clients in the area of debt collections and tax assessment appeals.
Sam is experienced in appellate briefing and also devotes a portion of his practice to serving as local counsel in cases involving parties based in outside regions. Following law school and prior to joining Gross McGinley, Sam served as a judicial clerk to the Honorable Ronald L. Buckwalter in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
Sam was selected for inclusion in the Pennsylvania Super Lawyers Rising Stars lists from 2014-2019, a distinction reserved for no more than 2.5% of young attorneys in Pennsylvania. In 2019, he was honored as one of Lehigh Valley Business‘s Forty Under 40, an award recognizing young professionals who are making an impact within their companies and in the business community. Sam also was named one of the Lehigh Valley’s “Finest Under Forty” by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation of Northeastern Pennsylvania in 2013.
Areas of Practice
- U.S. Court of Appeals
- ↳Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court
- ↳Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- ↳Middle District of Pennsylvania
- Suffolk University Law School, J.D., 2006
- Colgate University, B.A., 2002
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Bar Association of Lehigh County
- Northampton County Bar Association
- Lehigh County Arbitrator
- Northampton County Arbitrator
- Donald E. Wieand Barrister’s Inn
- Lehigh County Assistant Solicitor
- Lehigh Valley Clubmen’s Association, Solicitor
- Upper Milford Township Zoning, Hearing Board, Alternate Member
- Moravian Academy Alumni Board, Member and Past President
- Lehigh Valley Arts Council, Board of Directors
- LVHN, Board of Associates
- Allentown Chamber of Commerce, Former Board Member
- Moravian Academy Board of Trustees, Former Member
- 2019 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers Names Gross McGinley Attorneys
- 2019 Forty Under 40 Honors Samuel Cohen
- Sam Cohen Appointed to Zoning Hearing Board
- Gross McGinley Presents Realtor Seminar on Tax Assessment Appeals
- Gross McGinley’s Litigation Group Presents to Northampton County Bar Association
- PA Supreme Court Decision Could Impact Future of Tax Assessment Appeals
Awards & Recognitions
- 2014-2019 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers Rising Stars
- 2019 Lehigh Valley Business Forty Under 40
- 2017 Lehigh Valley Select Lawyers, Lehigh Valley Style Magazine
- 2017 Local Legal Leaders, Lehigh Valley Magazine
- 2014 Clubman of the Year, Lehigh Valley Clubmen’s Association
- 2013 Lehigh Valley's Finest Under Forty, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation of Northeastern Pennsylvania
- Successfully gained the City of Allentown Zoning Hearing Board’s approval of the Hispanic American Organization’s proposal to offer Drug and Alcohol counseling services at their location on west Walnut Street in Allentown.
- Successfully represented building owner before the Allentown Zoning Hearing Board, obtaining requested relief that would allow a new tenant even though the existing parking lot does not have enough spaces according to the City's zoning ordinance. Relief was granted based on the fact that the hours of operation for the new and existing tenant complimented each other.
- Obtained favorable verdict, following a two week jury trial, for an employee who was subjected to gender and disability discrimination in the workplace.
- Represented a landlord in enforcing the provisions of a lease when tenant claimed the property was inhabitable based on certain zoning classifications. Achieved a favorable verdict following a bench trial.
Practice Spotlight: Litigation
Gross McGinley’s skilled litigation team vigorously pursues clients’ interests, either by asserting claims or defending them. Our litigation attorneys represent individuals and businesses in state and fe… Read More
Industry Spotlight: Municipal
Gross McGinley offers a full range of legal services to local municipalities. Our attorneys represent Lehigh Valley local governments, planning boards, zoning boards, cities, and counties in real estate, lan… Read More