Thomas A. Capehart
Having practiced law in the Lehigh Valley for over 25 years, Thomas A. Capehart provides a broad breadth of legal services to both individuals and business clients, with particular emphasis on estate planning and estate administration (both simple and complex), small business formation and planning, municipal law, real estate law, and creditors rights issues (foreclosures, bankruptcies and workouts). Tom currently serves as Chair of the firm’s Real Estate Group.
In his estate practice, Tom employs a hands-on approach, offering knowledgeable, direct, and effective advice regarding wills, trusts, and other estate planning documents to help clients meet their particular estate planning needs and goals, while addressing tax issues and elder law matters including nursing home and Medicaid planning.
Tom has experience in a variety of municipal matters with regard to land use and land development. He currently acts as primary firm counsel for the Borough of Coopersburg and the Coopersburg Municipal Authority.
Tom also represents several local and regional banks in the areas of residential and commercial foreclosure, collections, and creditor’s rights/bankruptcy services, regularly appears in Chapter 7, Chapter 11, and Chapter 13 Bankruptcy matters in the Bankruptcy Courts for the Eastern District and Middle District of Pennsylvania. He previously served on the Attorney Advisory Board for the Bankruptcy Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania.
Tom is actively involved in his community, serving on the Board of the East Penn Chamber of Commerce, the Board of the Lehigh Conference of Churches and his own church, St. John’s UCC in Emmaus, and as a long-time member of the Emmaus Lions Club, where he was awarded the Melvin Jones Award for dedicated service. For over 15 years, Tom has served as a PIAA football official typically working as a Line Judge on Friday night varsity games in the EPC and Colonial leagues.
Born and raised in Emmaus, Pennsylvania, Tom is a current resident of Upper Milford Township with his wife, Michelle, and they are the proud parents of two children, Matthew and Laura.
Areas of Practice
- U.S. District Court
- ↳Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- ↳Middle District of Pennsylvania
- ↳Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals
- ↳Third Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- University of Akron School of Law, J.D., 1989
- Dickinson College, B.A., 1986
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Bar Association of Lehigh County
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA)
- Pennsylvania Association of Elder Law Attorneys (PAELA)
- Estate Planning Council of the Lehigh Valley
- East Penn Chamber of Commerce, President:
- The Lehigh Conference of Churches, Board Member:
- Emmaus Lions Club:
- ↳Past President
- ↳Chair of the Constitution and Bylaws Committee
- ↳Chair of Nurses’ Scholarship Committee
- ↳Chair of Youth Activities and Physical Fitness Committee
- St. John's United Church of Christ, Emmaus
- ↳Elder and Consistory Member
- PIAA, Football Official
- Medical Assistance Long Term Care Benefits
- Real Estate Trending Upward for Millenial Homeownership
- Gross McGinley Celebrates Elder Law Month with Community Education Series
- Special Needs Trust Fairness Act Allows for Self-Funded Trusts
- Gross McGinley Offers Free Community Programs for Elder Law Month
- Revised PA Law Relieves Some Financial Burden for Estates of Deceased Tenants
Awards & Recognitions
- Lions Club Melvin Jones Fellowship Award - Emmaus Lions Club (May 2015)
- "Nuances of Estate Administration", Gross McGinley Seminar, November 2015
- "Do I Want to Be a Fiduciary? Risks vs. Rewards", Gross McGinley Seminar, October 2013
Practice Spotlight: Wills, Trusts, & Estates
Gross McGinley’s Wills and Estates Group lawyers provide a mix of legal services to protect your family and help you plan for a secure future. Our attorneys are skilled and knowledgeable in designing custo… Read More
Industry Spotlight: Municipal
Gross McGinley offers a full range of legal services to local municipalities. Our attorneys represent Lehigh Valley local governments, planning boards, zoning boards, cities, and counties in real estate, lan… Read More