Thomas A. Capehart
Having practiced law in the Lehigh Valley for over 30 years, Thomas A. Capehart provides a broad breadth of legal services to both individuals and business clients, with particular emphasis on estate planning and estate administration (both simple and complex), small business formation and planning, municipal law, real estate law, and creditors rights issues (foreclosures, bankruptcies and workouts). Tom currently serves as Chair of the firm’s Real Estate Group.
In his estate practice, Tom employs a hands-on approach, offering knowledgeable, direct, and effective advice regarding wills, trusts, and other estate planning documents to help clients meet their particular estate planning needs and goals, while addressing tax issues and elder law matters including nursing home and Medicaid planning.
Tom has experience in a variety of municipal matters with regard to land use and land development. He currently acts as primary firm counsel for the Borough of Coopersburg and the Coopersburg Municipal Authority.
Thomas A. Capehart also represents several local and regional banks in the areas of residential and commercial foreclosure, collections, and creditor’s rights/bankruptcy services, regularly appears in Chapter 7, Chapter 11, and Chapter 13 Bankruptcy matters in the Bankruptcy Courts for the Eastern District and Middle District of Pennsylvania. He previously served on the Attorney Advisory Board for the Bankruptcy Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania.
Tom is actively involved in his community, serving as Legal Counsel to the East Penn Chamber of Commerce and Emmaus Main Street Partners. He is on the Board of the Lehigh Conference of Churches and serves as an elder at his own church, St. John’s UCC in Emmaus; a past Board member of the East Penn Chamber. A long-time member of the Emmaus Lions Club, Tom was awarded the Melvin Jones Award for dedicated service. For over 15 years, he has served as a PIAA football official typically working as a Line Judge on Friday night varsity games in the EPC and Colonial leagues.
Born and raised in Emmaus, Pennsylvania, Tom is a current resident of Upper Milford Township with his wife, Michelle, and they are the proud parents of two children, Matthew and Laura.
Areas of Practice
- U.S. District Court
- ↳Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- ↳Middle District of Pennsylvania
- ↳Western District of Pennsylvania
- University of Akron School of Law, J.D., 1989
- Dickinson College, B.A., 1986
- Solicitor, Borough of Coopersburg and Municipal Water Authority
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Bar Association of Lehigh County
- Donald E. Wieand Barristers Inn
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA)
- Pennsylvania Association of Elder Law Attorneys (PAELA)
- Estate Planning Council of the Lehigh Valley
- East Penn Chamber of Commerce | Emmaus Main Street Partners, Legal Counsel
- East Penn Chamber of Commerce, Immediate Past President
- The Lehigh Conference of Churches, Board Member
- Emmaus Lions Club:
- ↳Past President
- ↳Board Member
- St. John's United Church of Christ, Emmaus
- ↳Elder, Past Consistory Member, Former Board Member
- PIAA, Football Official
- Tom Capehart Appointed Heart and Lung Hearing Officer for City of Allentown Paramedics’ Union
- COVID-19 Economic Impact Payments Belong to the Recipient, Not to the Nursing Home?
- Attorney Tom Capehart Named Legal Counsel for Emmaus Area Chamber Groups
- UPDATED: How to Finalize Estate Planning Documents During the Coronavirus Outbreak
- Inheriting IRAs in Pennsylvania
- 2019 Elder Law Month Community Education Series
Awards & Recognitions
- Lions Club Melvin Jones Fellowship Award - Emmaus Lions Club (May 2015)
- "2019 Elder Law Month: Estate Planning in the Digital Age", Community Education Series (various locations), May 2019
- "Nuances of Estate Administration", Gross McGinley Seminar, November 2015
- "Do I Want to Be a Fiduciary? Risks vs. Rewards", Gross McGinley Seminar, October 2013
Practice Spotlight: Wills, Trusts, & Estates
Wills and Estates Group
Gross McGinley’s Wills and Estates Group lawyers provide a mix of legal services to protect your family and help you plan for a secure future. Our attorneys are skilled and… Read More
Industry Spotlight: Health Care
Health care is one of the fastest growing industries across the country. Health care providers and professionals are experiencing exponential growth in their businesses. This rapid growth can lead to possibl… Read More